Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Alice by Jan Svankmajer



I really wanted to post this as I think it is a beautifully animated twist on Alice in Wonderland. I like how Svankmajer has picked up on the slightly sinister side of Carroll's story and has actually engaged with some of the underlying issues and concepts Carroll actual plays with in his story.

“Be what you would seem to be - or, if you'd like it put more simply - never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise.” Quote from Alice in Wonderland.

I love the style he creates with a real dated 1960s feel to his video imagery. I like how he plays with ideas of nostalgia and childhood in a seductive, compelling but also disturbing manner. The stop motion and quick scene cuts created a disrorted and stunted, stuttery flow to the imagery, which aids the eery and creepy feel. I especially love his visuals for Carroll's poem The Jabberwocky. It is so inspired.

No comments: